1217 (Lincolnshire HER) Comments This is a site than has undergone a rare extensive and detailed excavation and was found to have had a complex history.
This started as a Saxon defended manorial site and had the earthworks modified on several occasions (and timber buildings rebuilt) including use as a Norman castle.
Do start your bio off with a catchy tag line about yourself.
Create something unique, don’t use something you found online that everyone else is already using.
16m and similarly square plan, although the churchyard cut through part of the north-east comer.
A low bank and second minor ditch stood external to the ditch on the south and east sides, the southern element projecting further west to partially define an oval enclosure - presumably a former bailey - extending c . Excavation: The site was extensively excavated by G.
Wir verwenden Cookies, um Inhalte zu personalisieren, Werbeanzeigen maßzuschneidern und zu messen sowie die Sicherheit unserer Nutzer zu erhöhen.
Wenn du auf unsere Webseite klickst oder hier navigierst, stimmst du der Erfassung von Informationen durch Cookies auf und außerhalb von Facebook zu.
Aerial photographs show the site both before and after it was levelled with the ditch showing as a cropmark following the destruction of the site. Preservation: The excavations of the manor and DMV took place in anticipation of agricultural clearance; this has eradicated all traces of manorial and village earthworks.
The site of the motte and bailey was formerly contained within a scheduled area including the earthwork remains of the medieval settlement. Description: Prior to excavation, the site comprised a low mound of squarish plan, c . The feature was entirely surrounded by a shallow yet wide ditch with a maximum width of c .
AD 50-200): Romano-British occupation, comprising a sequence of three circular houses. 800-850): A middle Saxon settlement of timber and clay houses standing within large earthwork enclosures fronting on to a street. 850-950): A large, fortified oval enclosure containing a complex of timber buildings interpreted as a bow-sided hall, weaving shed, kitchen and bower. 950-1000): A rebuilt complex of timber buildings, enclosed within an unchanged fortification. 1000-1080): Reconstruction of the timber buildings within a fortified egg-shaped enclosure of increased size and strength. 1080-1150): A small timber-revetted motte with timber tower was raised in the north-east comer of the enclosure, forming a single bailey containing a small hall. 1150): The bailey was filled in and the motte and ramparts lowered to form a large flat castle mound supporting a large aisled hall.