The area appears to have been of some importance in the early Christian period, as evidenced by the Pictish stone carvings found during the restoration of St Vigeans Church, and now housed in the small museum there.The stones had been used in the building of the old church and many had been badly damaged.
Arbroath is believed to be the source of the sails used on the Cutty Sark.
Arbroath today is mostly known for its connection with the Scottish fishing industry.
In the 17th century, at the church of St Vigeans, near Arbroath, communion was not held for several years because the villagers believed there was a curse on the church.
The curse said that if communion were held then the church would fall into a large subterranean lake.
Arbroath grew considerably during the Industrial Revolution owing to the expansion of firstly the flax and secondly the jute industries and the engineering sector.
A new harbour was built in 1839 and by the 20th century, Arbroath had become one of the larger fishing ports in Scotland.
These burials included pottery urns, a pair of silver discs and a gold armlet.
as well as the better-known examples at Carlungie and Ardestie.
They won 36–0 against Aberdeen Bon Accord in the Scottish Cup in 1885.
The name 'Aberbrothock' can be found in numerous spelling variations.
The ruins were a popular site for travellers during the 17th and 18th centuries, and finally in 1815 the remains were taken into the care of the State for preservation.