During this time, the need for a graveyard was great and so the lands adjoining the workhouse were leased from the Earl of Longford and the graveyard was created.
As we mentioned in our previous post, we have a Templemichael church burial record for a Margaret Loney, who died 9 Jan, 1847. Additionally, William “Orange Billy” Loney and Mary Fee’s oldest daughter Margaret (born September, 1826) may have stayed in Ireland.
Was she still there during this timeframe, or had she died young, or also immigrated, possibly under a married name? The railway stations in Edgeworthstown and Longford both opened in November 1855 to great ceremony, including a celebratory Mass in St. The opening of the Royal Canal in 1826 had been a pivotal event at that time, and the coming of the railways was another pivotal event, which ushered in the Industrial Revolution to the county.
It had military significance as early as the 1700’s when the British authorities sited both a cavalry and artillery barracks in the town.
Great Water Street After the Industrial Revolution in England, Longford had a significant share of industry, much of which was concentrated in the Great Water Street area.
Perhaps among those traders were William, John, and Robert Loney, or Peter Cunninham (Ann Loney’s husband), all of whom later farmed in Ontario, Canada.
Several other buildings of importance survived this era and are standing today.Longford As promised in our last post, here is a brief look at Longford during the time our known ancestors lived in the area.The records we have found for them date from the late 1700’s to the mid-1800s.Opposite the fowl market there was a school catering to young girls which still stands today, but is now a private residence.Interestingly, right below the Loney Ranch on Mc Courtney Road in Grass Valley, Nevada Co, CA it branched off to * Lime Kiln Road.Perhaps it was named by Thomas Loney, the third child of William Loney and Mary Fee, who was born in Ireland in 1832!